Friday, July 10, 2009

A Tri-ing Decision

If you read my blog regularly you may remember that I participated in the Devon Triathlon last year. Two friends and I entered as a team and I did the bike portion of the triathlon.  I enjoyed the race atmosphere and decided I wanted to enter the race as an individual the following year (a lofty goal for a person who can't swim and has never ran any kind of distance). 

In January I took swimming lessons to learn how to swim, and I have been steadily improving since. This spring I forced myself to learn how to run long distances (this is my biggest challenge I really hate to run).

With August and the Devon Triathlon around the corner it seems I have almost completed all of the training I need to achieve my goal.  One problem...self doubt.  Every time I work myself up to register I usually chicken out, but deep down I know that if I don't do it I will be super disappointed in myself.  I have already spent a lot of time and energy preparing for this race. I have spent so much time training and organizing childcare so I could get a swim in here or a run in there. I need to just register!

Wednesday was the big day...I registered...I am committed...so ready or not  here I come!

I am reminded of what it says on my reusable Lululemon bag 'do something that scares you everyday'.  This scares me.

Wish me luck.

Happy Friday!



4 comments:

  1. I am very proud of you! You are going to do great! We shall be there to cheer you on! You are a determined, talented and athletic young lady. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whoo hoooo! so proud of you jess. your determination is an inspiration to me. luv your guts and wish you all the best. you can do anything....!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah - step 1 - the hardest one is done!! You're right - you've done so much already that it would be a shame to miss out. Good luck - and be proud of just doing it, especially with a little guy who takes tons of energy these days :))

    ReplyDelete