Friday, January 28, 2011

Harold and The Purple Crayon

Lately we have been working with Zachary helping him learn how to colour and draw.  Murray is really great at drawing and I like to colour so its fun to teach Zachary.


Unfortunately, Zachary is more scared about colouring then he is skating which I think is strange.  He will put on a pair of skates and walk across the ice no problem but when I ask if he wants to colour he gets anxious and says he can't or doesn't want or get frustrated easily when it doesn't turn out the way he wants it to.


Recently we were given the book Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crocket Johnson


Haroldpurple


Its great because the illustrations are very simple.


Images
After reading the book its easy to retell the story and recreate some of the pictures.


Here is the finished product.


IMG_0744


This was fun for both Zachary and I.


 


I guess even at home I am still a teacher at heart.


Happy Friday!



3 comments:

  1. That is a grand picture that Zach drew. Make sure you keep them and show him his progress. Maybe a book of his own. I still have Murray's and should frame them for you. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so cute.. what a great book..I think I remember reading that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the same way! Love his picture! Did you know there is a movie of Harold? We picked it up at the library yesterday, thought of you and zach!

    ReplyDelete